Investigation of membrane associating polymers, therapeutic nanoparticles and cell preservation experiments
Biotechnology and and bioengineering, experimental
- A safe polymer technology, which can be fine-tuned to deliver a wide variety of payloads into cells for various applications.
- Novel pH-responsive, biodegradable polymers will be synthesized to mimic the activity of viruses, both in their cell entry and endosomal escape mechanisms
- Synthesis of functional polymers and nanoparticles to tailor interactions and permeability of lipid bilayers for biomedical applications.
Tasks and methodology
- Characterisation of the membrane translocation properties of the materials with mammalian cells and with lipid vesicles.
- Experimental investCelligation of the use of membrane permeating materials in biostabilisation in collaboration with Biopharma.
- Investigate how materials designed in this project can be used to stabilise mammalian cells in order that they can be freeze-dried without loss of viability or functional activity.
- The cell membrane translocation behaviour of complexes formed between membrane disruptive polymers and therapeutic proteins and nucleotides will be assessed.